Jump to What Interests you Most

Search This Blog

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Fitness Tip: Obsessing about food

Taken from googleimages

 Clearly, this is not a how-to post. When I started losing weight the only thing I didn't do was count calories or go on fad diets. However, I did obsess about food.





We shouldn't be glutons when it comes to eating. But I think counting calories is tiresome and unhelpful. I think it can be useful for people with thyroid problems, diabetes and serious medical problems where diet regulation has to be strict. For the rest of us it's really just about making smarter choices.

I have a sweet tooth. I like to eat sweets. I do endulge myself sometimes. Other times, I make smarter choices. Maybe I'll have 


I like fried foods. Sometimes I do endulge myself. Other times
  • I'll roast some potatoes (or sweet potatoes) with rosemary, garlic and olive oil. 
  • Maybe I'll bake some fish with toasted sesame seeds for that crunch you'd get with fried food.


The options are endless. I do try to get my daily requirements of fruits and vegetables any way that I can. I make smarter choices where I can. 
  • I drink skim milk
  • Eat non fat yogurt
  • Drink water or iced green/white/black tea instead of soft drinks
  • Eat salads with my meals
  • Eat whole grains
  • Nuts
  • Dark chocolate
Counting calories makes me obsess about food. I don't do it. 
Instead,  
  • I eat on smaller plates
  • I'll drink two cups of water before eating my main meal
  • I'll accompany my meal with broth-based soup and/or a salad.
  • I think of ways to make sure I am truly hungry before I endulge. 
  • I also eat more often (every 3-4 hours) so that when I am hungry, I'm not starving and eat more than I need to.

Incorporating exercise into my lifestyle has also helped. I am careful not to use it as an excuse to binge. But if I do feel like eating some ice cream I don't obsess because I know I'll burn off those calories.

In short, we are always thinking about food. It is everywhere we look. We have to deal with it. However, I try to curb my obessesion by making smart choices where I can. When I do slip up, I get right back on track the following day.

Yes, we need food to live. We can enjoy it but we don't have to obsess about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment