Jump to What Interests you Most

Search This Blog

Friday, July 1, 2011

Marathon Training: New weights routine

This Sunday, July 3rd 2011, I start re-training for a marathon I hope to run sometime next year (2012).

It is extremely important for runners to have strong legs and strong abdominal muscles for more efficient running. This is also helpful to avoid injuries. Considering how I trained last year, and what my body likes, I will weight train twice a week.

Stay tuned for a post coming soon where I detail my running schedule.

Here I will detail my weights routine.


Monday (Arms and Back) 

The following arm exercises are all new (taken from Self). I haven't tried them yet but they look fun and interesting! Tried and true arm exercises I love are: pushups on a fitness ball, chair dips, tricep extensions, shoulder press, chest fly and variations on the bicep curl.



 Power Curl
Stand with feet slightly wider than hip-width apart, a weight in each hand. Shrug left shoulder toward ear; release, then bend right elbow and curl weight to under right armpit as you extend left arm out to side at shoulder height (as shown). Release arms. Do 25 reps. Switch sides; repeat.
  • Works shoulders, biceps, triceps

Bowling Throw
Stand with feet staggered, left foot in front of right, a weight in each hand. Rest left hand on front of left thigh; extend right arm behind you, palm down. Curl right arm forward as if throwing a bowling ball (as shown). Lower arm. Do 20 reps. Switch sides; repeat.
  • Works shoulders, biceps
Double Pull
Stand with feet staggered, left foot in front of right, arms extended at chest height, a weight in each hand, palms facing each other. Squeeze shoulder blades together as you bend elbows, move weights to hips and push hips forward (as shown). Return to start; repeat. Do 15 reps. Switch lead leg; do 15 more reps.
  • Works back, biceps