Jump to What Interests you Most

Search This Blog

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Daily Fitness Tip: Stretching


Mechanics
 Before beginnning any type of exercise you should:
  • Warm up for at least 5 minutes
  • Stretch hitting all muscle groups
  • Cool down for at least 5 minutes
  • Stretch again 


    Remember safety is the first priority. 


    Dos and Don'ts:

    DO hold each stretch for at least 30 seconds and release
    DON'T force muscles, but DO stretch until you "feel" the stretch
    DON'T bounce
    DO use chairs or a wall for balance. If you feel unsteady on your feet, regain your balance before continuing the stretch.


    When exercising, if you feel tight muscles, pause, stretch it out, and continue at a lower intensity until the stiffness subsides. Above all, listen to your body.


    If you are interested in finding stretches for all muscle groups look here. Also check out the video below for some of my favorite stretches. 

    Be sure to come back tomorrow for the second part of stretching! (Music in video: Corinne Bailey Rae "Put Your Records On")




    If this helped you leave a comment and let me know how it goes.

    I hope you enjoyed your Daily Fitness Tip and will add it to your Recipe for Health

    4 comments:

    1. I'm going to have to try these streches! I am headed to the gym tomorrow the dog thing has kinda freaked me out about running around the neighborhood. LOL

      ReplyDelete
    2. Yes! Streching is fundamental to any exercise routine. Oh, and don't worry about the dogs! You are gonna be back running in no time. Check out the post coming sometime this week!

      ReplyDelete
    3. I definitely need to get up on my stretching. I have been running and biking more lately and I get so stiff... So thanks for the tips! I think I may have some for you to try!

      ReplyDelete
    4. Yay! I love new stretches. This was just a quick post but stretching will be revisited. Especially when I talk about how to prepare for a race and running for different seasons. But yea, it's hard not to rush through stretching.

      ReplyDelete