Jump to What Interests you Most

Search This Blog

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Daily Fitness Tip: Eat 4 Energy -- Pre-run snacks

What is important to me in a pre-run snack?
  1. Quick energy
  2. Something light on the stomach
There is so much information out there on the "best" things to eat before a run that you have to find what works for you. I, personally, don't like to eat much before a run. I prefer to replenish my energy stores post-run (that topic will be explained in a post coming soon).

Before running, I usually reach for:
  • Almonds 
  • Raisins 
  • Fruit 
  • Non-fat yogurt (no added sugar)
  • An energy gel (NutriSport Gel)

If I'm doing a short run (30-45 minutes) I will even run on an empty stomach. (I don't recommend this!) However, I do try to munch something light before a long run. I've only tried taking an energy gel once, but I plan to buy more. I like how my body reacted to it.


Whatever you do here's 2 important factors to keep in mind when eating and exercising:
  • Don't exercise more than 2-3 hours after eating-- your body needs to be fuelled so that your exercise is productive. 
  • After your snack, wait 1-1.5 hours before exercising
    Either way you need energy before running or performing any kind of exercise. If you are like me, and don't like to have a lot on your stomach, try the above snacks. I also think fruit juice is an honorable mention for quick energy.

    Just remember you need some carbs, protein and fat. For me, it's not incredibly important if I'm not exercising for an extended period of time.

    Some people like:
    • Peanut butter (I hate it!) on bagels 
    • Oatmeal (add some flaxseeds to it!)
    • Chocolate milk (I prefer this post run)
    • Bananas
    • ....the list goes on! 

    You have to experiment and do what works for you and only you.

    The next "Eat 4 Energy" will detail post-run snacks.

    If this helped you leave a comment and let me know how it goes.

    I hope you enjoyed your Daily Fitness Tip and will add it to your Recipe for Health

      No comments:

      Post a Comment