Jump to What Interests you Most

Search This Blog

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Weekly Recipe: Cabbage and Pinto Bean Stew

This vegan recipe was so delicious! It was so delicious that I completely forgot to take pictures of it and it lasted 3 days! But the following pictures resemble it pretty well.

Googleimages

Googleimages

Googleimages
I'm extra proud because I created this recipe without performing a google search! Meaning, I created it! There are probably tons of similar recipes out there but none like this one

Cabbage and Pinto Bean Stew
1 16 oz. bag dry pinto beans
1 head of cabbage
1 zucchini
1/2 large onion
12 oz asparagus
1 red pepper
1/2 cup to 1 cup baby carrots (cut in half)
1 Tbsp. garlic salt
1 tsp. Italian blend seasoning
2 small bay leaves
black pepper
red pepper flakes
1 tsp. rosemary
a good amount of extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp. white vinegar
1 Tbsp. cornstarch (optional)
 a crockpot

Rinse beans carefully then add them to the crockpot. Put in enough water to cover the beans about 2 inches. Add all the spices and the olive oil. Cook on high for 3 hours. Meanwhile chop up all the veggies into medium-large sized pieces. You don't want to dice the veggies because they will turn to mush. Refrigerate until the beans are done. 

Once the beans are done add the veggies. Add enough water to just cover the veggies. Here is also a good time to adjust the seasonings. Cook for 4 more hours on high or until the veggies are soft. When it's completely done add the vinegar. The cornstarch is optional to thicken it a bit. Serve with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.

I LOVE vinegar with cabbage so I added another tablespoon to my dish. But dress it up however you like. This recipe was perfect because there were a lot of vegetables in the fridge that I needed to use up. Plus, I'd been meaning to make some beans for awhile. There are at least 8 packs of beans in my cupboard! But I never have the time, or patience, to cook them. This recipe was perfect for that.

This stew is hearty so you don't need to add anything else to it! It is so good! It's also ridiculously easy to make. Just chop up the veggies and throw them in the crockpot. Then continue with your day. It tastes like a lot of effort was put into it though. It's also incredible healthy. Tons of vitamins and minerals and very low-fat.

1 comment:

  1. I have tons of red cabbage on freezer grown in my garden. Your pic has green but what do you think of using red?

    ReplyDelete