Jump to What Interests you Most

Search This Blog

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Daily Fitness Tip: Spices = flavor - calories

Taken from googleimages
There are tons of reasons to use spices:
  • They taste good
  • It makes an otherwise boring dish something special
  • Helps you use less salt and fat
  • They are actually good for your health!

The last reason was a shock to me. I mean, how can oregano or cinnamon or cayenne pepper be good for your health? Let me give you an idea of what we are talking about.

Spices are...
  • Good antioxidants -- neutralizes destructive free radicals produced during cellular production. These "free radicals" have been thought to be one of the causes of  diseases like Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, cancer, heart disease and diabetes. 
Spices...
  • Lower inflammation -- this inflammation causes tissue and organ damage, which may have a hand in obesity, infections, gum disease, toxins and autoimmune disease. 
  • Fight against aging
  • Help the immune system

These are just a few of the benefits that spices can have in your life!

Spices that I use frequently are:
  • Cinnamon -- fights obesity
  • Curry -- protects against brain damage
  • Oregano -- anti-inflamatory
  • Thyme -- anti-inflamatory
  • Rosemary -- good for the heart, also lowers the effects of carcinogenic compounds in grilled foods
  • Cayenne pepper -- curbs hunger
  • Red pepper flakes -- curbs hunger

There are quite a few articles and studies out there that say the same things. Read this article, which is also quite interesting, if you want to find out more information. Here are a couple other useful links:
  1. Top 10 reasons why they are vital to your health
  2. Some spices cut cancer risk
I use spices in everything! They are so easy to incorporate into your lifestyle. I add cinnamon and mint to my yogurt, my iced tea, or my cereal. I add oregano and thyme to my savory dishes--hot and cold. Everytime I go food shopping I look in the spice aisle and see what I can add to my collection.  Using spices allows me to use less salt and fat when cooking and my food still tastes delicious! 

Be adventurous!

If this helped you leave a comment and let me know how it goes!

I hope you enjoyed your Daily Fitness Tip and will add it to your Recipe for Health

No comments:

Post a Comment