Jump to What Interests you Most

Search This Blog

Friday, July 29, 2011

Debate/Discussion: Child bodybuilding




I think I have to agree with the doctor on this one: he must be taking some sort of hormones to get that "ripped." Or maybe because most people don't think about their children becoming bodybuilders it is shocking to see? Perhaps children's bodies CAN look like that if they really try?

Then again, adult, professional bodybuilders often take enhancements to look like they do. Why should this child be any different?

This child in this video is in the Guinness Book of World Records, according to one article

 (Do click on the link to watch the video. I don't want to say too much because I don't want to bias anyone. I think everyone should make up their own minds. But I must say that the child scares me. A LOT.)

The article also states that child bodybuilding is becoming increasingly popular these days. There are boot camps to get children to look like this. There are even gyms specifically designed for children. Parents have to pay more because most ordinary gyms don't let anyone younger than 16 years old into the weight room.

(Be sure to read the article as well)

My opinion is this: A child's body hasn't finished developing at this stage in life. Who knows what the repercussions on their bodies may be once they hit puberty? I think it is wonderful for children to be more active. Especially nowadays and the problems with obesity and eating too much junk food. 

However, there is excess in everything: 
  • Eating too much is excess
  • Playing too many video games is excess
  • Having a 6-year-old look like Arnold Schwarzenegger is excess.

I can't think of even one benefit this kind of training has for a child and their family. Ok, I can think of one: MONEY. The children above are famous because of the bodies they have. 

It just doesn't sit well with me.

What do other people think? Is it more harmful than helpful?

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I cannot believe that this is for real? I don't think there is any helpfulness about this, unless you look at the fact that a young kid cares about his health (if you can claim what he is doing, as healthy!). Being active-YES.. but active as in playing outside, fun games like tag, or kick the can! Haha

    I agree with you-he is not yet through (or even started) developing, and who knows how puberty will hit with his history.. you do wonder if (or what) artificial enhancers are being fed to him.

    This doesn't sit well with me, either. Like in the article it was quoted “We cater to people who have the money,”.....makes me sick to my stomach that is what some places have come to..

    This is just sad, sad, sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first reaction was sadness. I feel really bad for this kid. I don't want to say much more than this until I can do some research on the lasting effects this boy will have to face. Thank you for bringing this to all of our attention.
    I saw a video on young kids (around this boys age) competing in UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship)style tournaments. Whatever happened to the good old days of playing baseball outside with your friends or playing cops and robbers? I just don't understand anymore.

    ReplyDelete