Jump to What Interests you Most

Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Fitness Tip: Lackluster Energy

BEFORE

AFTER

BEFORE

AFTER (My first half marathon)
Yes, lackluster energy affects the best of us. After taking a look at my embarassing, lazy, pictures above you know it's true. So how do I get the job done when I just want to sit on the couch staring into space or catch up on my youtube videos? 

Honestly, sometimes I don't know how I do it either.

Typically, working out the first thing in the morning is the best option. For me, it helps me get it out of the way so that I don't have to worry about making excuses later. 

Sure, I still have crust in my eyes and it takes me a minute to get oriented, but after that I'm good. Plus, I have added energy for the rest of the day and have a sounder sleep at night. 

When I don't get up early I feel lazier as the day goes on. At the end of the day I make up some excuse why I can't go run:

  • It's too late
  • I have to get up early tomorrow
  • I'm too tired
  • I'm hungry
  • It's too dark
  • I have no clean clothes...

On the weekends I have no reason to get up early. So how do I handle it? I get a buddy! 

Now, I am not one of those lucky people who has a running buddy or are part of a running club. There is no one who wants to run with me! 

However, I can oftentimes beg my husband to come with me on his bike on days I truly feel energy-less. He holds my water, tracks my miles, and sometimes provides witty conversation (sometimes).

Of course I can't always count on my husband or getting up early. So instead I try to stay on my feet. I find that if I get up and then plop right down on the couch, it will be harder to muster up energy later. 

When I get up I wake up with a plan. I will eat breakfast, check my email and in an hour I need to be doing something active. If not, I'd better have a real good reason.

Or I can just look at the pictures above and see what happens when I DON'T. Not cute.


What do YOU do when you feel a case of lackluster energy starting to materialize?

7 comments:

  1. Inspiring post, when I feel the lackluster energy setting in I look at old pictures of me before training or else other peoples motivational videos. Adding your pictures to my motivation folder!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually just push through the lack of motivation. Fake it til I make it, if you will :) Having a workout buddy helps with that too.

    It's funny because so many people talk about how working out in the morning is so much better. Having done both I know that at this point in my life I'd rather work out in the evening. Either way, you've just got to know what works for you and what gets you through the low energy times!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First and foremost: your blog rocks. I'm so glad you came over to say hello on mine, so I could see yours as well!

    I could not agree more with this post- whenever I feel down in the dumps or just really tired, but not quite ready for a nap, I love pumping some iron!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the post!
    I wish you were here I would totally run with you!
    Anywho when I start to feel like a lazy bum when I know I should be making jewelry, cleaning up while jaxon is sleep or taking a walk I tell myself that I have to get it done because there is no time later. Even if that is not true. Or I tell myself to get it done while jaxon is sleeping. Finally I try to reward myself with coffe giving me a boost of energy, or focus in on the end result. Why is it that I have determination with everything except exercising?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Bigshanks BSc: I should have put up some REAL doosies for your motivation folder! (Great idea!) Maybe I will in a later post...

    @Stephanie: I hear what you're saying completely. Last year I woke up early for every run. This year I've been "lazier" and run mostly at night. Although I do prefer mornings. Usually I do my long runs in the morning. Mostly because I don't feel like running until 12am! But yea, you have to find what works for you. And you're proof that it can change throughout the process.

    @Meg: Thank you! You're arms are aMAzing! I still have a ton to catch up on with your blog. I look forward to it! Thanks for stopping by!

    @Sprina: You can have determination with anything! I find with exercise you really just need a routine. Once you get that routine AND start seeing results it's like a drug. You can't stop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When you get back to the states your going to be my inspiration, I will almost be done with the breastfeeding and jaxon will almost be a year so I can focus in on dieting and exercise and not feel like im abondoning him. Im gonna text you everyday or email you what I did. I'm excited!
    i used to have so much fun working out with you so I'm gonna pretend like your right there with me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Sprina: I'm excited too! We can be virtual exercise buddies! Although...why can't you be in NC??!!! Oh, and there are some interesting blogs written by moms who exercise regularly. They might be of help to you too. Since I have no experience in that department. :) I'll email you some I follow.

    ReplyDelete