Jump to What Interests you Most

Search This Blog

Friday, July 15, 2011

Fitness Tip: Trying something new

Taken from googleimages

 I think we all get to a point, when exercising for awhile, where we want to try something new. Perhaps a new routine, a new class, new gear...


Here are some new things I want to try:
  • Minimalist running shoes
  • Barefoot running
  • Heart rate monitor
  • GPS watch
  • Kettlebell
  • Various DVDS on spinning, pilates, boxing, and yoga...
  • Foam rollers

I am really focused right now on perfecting my running form, staying injury free, and becoming stronger and more flexible. I plan to purchase this book at some point in the near future: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Barefoot Running. Once I get it I will definitely do a review on it and document my progress. 

I haven't done that much personal research yet, but the "buzz" out there is in favor of barefoot running and minimalist shoes. 

What I do know is that barefoot running is a process. Meaning, you can't just start running barefoot without careful planning and training. It takes about 1.5 years for someone to train to run even a half marathon barefoot. This is assuming they are in tip-top shape. I want to run better and more efficiently and I believe barefoot running will help me acheive this.

I want the heart rate monitor for some of the same reasons I stated above. I want to be a more efficient runner. Building up your stamina and your speed is not only about adding on mileage week after week. It is actually more useful to increase how fast you run, or how fast your body works when running. Building on this makes a runner stronger, faster and more efficient. 

Say you typically run at a 6 or 7 (10 being your full potential) but can easily run at an 8. Well, the heart rate monitor will help you measure this as well as keep you within safe boundaries.


The GPS watch is one of those tools I like to drool over! It makes mapping a running route much easier and more accurate than all of those pedometers on the market. Nike, apparently, has a new GPS watch. It is touch screen and uses TomTom technology. It looks fabulous!

I don't know what other brands are good. I just know I want one! And that they are expensive, so I have to save up. (And, clearly, do some more research)


The kettlebell I want to spice up my routine. I've done traditional weight training for a long time and want to try something new. It seems to work your upper body pretty efficiently and looks like fun!

Spending a lot of money I don't want to do. So instead of going to expensive classes, I plan to pick up some DVDs and try some things I've been wanting to for awhile. I've always wanted to try spinning. I also want to try some new toning techniques and improve my flexibility. Which is why boxing, pilates and yoga are on my list.


Finally, the foam roller looks like an easy way to soothe sore muscles. I always hear that it's the runners "best friend" so I'd like to give it a try. Sometimes normal stretching doesn't always get the job done.

There has never been a problem with me changing up my routine to keep me interested. I just feel like I want to reach another level of my fitness. Using these tools will help me reach this goal. 


What are some tools/classes/gear...you want to try? What are some of your favorites? What do you recommend? Have you tried any of the above things? What do you think of them? How do you change your exercise routine to stay interested and keep your body guessing?

No comments:

Post a Comment