Jump to What Interests you Most

Search This Blog

Friday, May 18, 2012

Vegan Recipes Starring: Soba Noodles and Leeks

These vegan recipes are the first time I've eaten soba noodles and leeks and now I'm hooked! I have about 5 packages of soba noodles in the kitchen cupboard and I buy leeks weekly...or whenever I run out! 

Actually my husband and I had some sauteed for dinner last night along with a delicious tomato salad!

I found these recipes in my Runner's World magazine strangely enough. In the nutrition section of the magazine they always feature a seasonal vegetable or ingredient. 

These recipes were super easy because I didn't have to buy any extra ingredients. They were also super easy to make vegan. For the soba noodles dish I substituted the peanut butter for almond butter because that's what I had in the kitchen.

The soba noodles dish

6 Tbsp. soy sauce (the recipe recommends tamari but I used what I had in the kitchen)
2  Tbsp. toasted sesame oil
1 Tbsp. unsalted peanut butter (or almond butter like I used)
1 Tbsp. rice vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar)
1 Tbsp. freshly grated ginger (I used 1 tsp. dried ginger)
2 cloves of garlic minced
Soba noodles
5 small spring onions chopped
1 Tbsp (or to taste) sesame seeds
some peanuts cut up for garnish (I used cashews)
some cilantro for garnish (optional --my husband hates the taste of it so I left it out)

In a large bowl mix the soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, peanut (or almond) butter, vinegar, ginger, garlic and 2 Tbsp. water. Meanwhile cook the soba noodles according to the instructions on the package. When they are done rinse them with cool water and add them to the bowl with the remaining ingredients. Mix well and garnish with the sesame seeds, spring onion, nuts and cilantro.

The leek dish

1 Tbsp. Jerez vinegar (or balsamic vinegar)
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp. capers
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
8 leeks 
spring onion

Rinse and cut up the leeks and then put them in a large pot to boil for 10 minutes. Once cooked, drain them and put them in a large bowl and then add the vinaigrette. Garnish with spring onion (optional).

4 comments:

  1. It looks delish! I will have to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That first one is pretty much my go-to recipe whenever I don't know what to cook! Peanut butter, ginger, chiles, garlic, and soy sauce...they work with any type of noodle and any vegetables you want to throw in there, too. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I feel like I could that stuff everyday and not get bored. Actually if I let Chema...he would!

      Delete