Jump to What Interests you Most

Search This Blog

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Weekly Recipe: Vegan Gingerbread Cake

Another delicious vegan recipe for you just in time for the holiday season. I made this on Christmas for Chema and I to munch on as the other goodies were not vegan friendly. It was great because we didn't have to buy any ingredients! We even had some crystalized ginger in the cabinet!


Vegan Gingerbread

1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/4 cups pastry flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 Tbsp ground ginger
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp sea salt
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2/3 cup molasses
2/3 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup rice milk (or any non-dairy milk)
1/2 cup chopped crystallized ginger

Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish and set aside. Sift flours, baking powder, and soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. In a separate bowl blend oil, molasses, brown sugar, and rice milk. Make a well in the dry ingredients and add wet mixture. Don't over mix. Stir in ginger. Pour in pan and bake 40-45 minutes until done.

This recipe seems a lot more high maintenence than it is. I didn't bother sifting the flours because I don't have a sifter or a collander small enough. My cake came out perfectly fine. I used cake flour because I ran out of all-purpose flour. I assume that's the same as pastry flour. My cake came out perfectly fine. We ate this in 2 days flat! Try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment