Jump to What Interests you Most

Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Debate/Discussion: Gummy Vitamins




Have you seen them? They were originally marketed as an "easier" way to get kids to take their vitamins. 

When I was a kid I had to take chalky, Flintstones, chewable, vitamins with my oatmeal (and cod liver oil capsules). They didn't taste great although I did enjoy the shapes of the Bedrock clan! 

These gummy vitamins are delicious! They taste just like candy. I had to look closely at the bottle. Just to make sure my brother hadn't filled an authentic vitamin bottle with gummy bears to trick me! No, the bottle clearly states that you take two a day and it will provide you with your daily vitamin intake.

There are even gummy vitamins for adults. My mom takes a multivitamin and some extra calcium in the form of a gummy. Yes, those two are super delicious! The calcium ones are square and dense and just yummy! I could eat the entire bottle but you are only supposed to take two a day.



DEBEATE/DISCUSSION: DO THESE GUMMY VITAMINS "WORK"?


I use the word "work" for lack of a better term. But what I'm getting at is do these vitamins really contain what they say in the bottle or is it just a lot of sugar? Is a gummy vitamin really the best way to take a vitamin? All that sugar can't be good for your teeth, for example. 

Then again, maybe any way you can get kids to take vitamins is the "right way"? If that's the case, then why make gummy vitamins for adults?

On the other hand, even the vitamins I take say that the statements haven't been scientifically proven...So if you take that view, gummy vitamins aren't any less authentic than the pills.

Maybe I'm just one of those people who thinks that if it's too good to be true than it probably is. Although that's strange for me because I'm not a pessimistic person.

Perhaps I'm being a little over analytic after watching Food Inc. last night (please watch this movie!). For those of you who've seen it, you know what I mean. 


I'm just really picky when it comes to food and health in general. I take anything I hear "with a grain of salt."

For a long time I never took vitamins because I didn't really trust them. I do take a multivitamin now and that's mainly because I'm vegan and highly active. At this point in my life I feel like it couldn't hurt.

I've also suffered from anemia in the past. So I know that it's hard to get all the nutrients we need from foods. I'm not against vitamins and I'm not really against gummy vitamins either. It's just amazing that something that tastes like candy is good for you!

My family is in love with vitamins. I mean my mom alone has practically ALL of the B-vitamins, calcium, folic acid, iron pills...you name it, she takes it. So seeing them around isn't new to me. Like I said at the beginning, I used to take them when I was a kid.


I don't know, what do YOU think? Have you ever tried gummy vitamins? Do you take them now? What are your opinions on them? What are your opinions on vitamins in general?

2 comments:

  1. I read somewhere that there are no laws governing the claim that something is "healthy". So yeah, I do tend to be a bit skeptical.

    But I really, really do love Flintstones vitamins. Yum! Like candy! I love Tums for the same reason. Haven't tried the gummies yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You eat Tums? Ew! LOL. I haven't tried them ever so I guess I can't really judge. I never did like the chalky taste of Flintstones vitamins. I always washed them down with some hot cocoa. The gummies are super good! You will get hooked!

    ReplyDelete