Jump to What Interests you Most

Search This Blog

Friday, November 11, 2011

Weekly Recipe: Vegan Pumpkin Raisin Muffins

This is an adapted recipe. I actually got it from my gym. They were handing out recipe cards at the front desk this week. Or rather, they were in piles on the desk and I picked one up while I was waiting for my spinning class to start.

It was pretty much vegan anyway. But I also made it healthier by not adding any oils or butters and adding some whole wheat flour.


Vegan Pumpkin Raisin Muffins

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder (plus 2 tsp. as the egg substitute)
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
2 Tbsp. water
1/3 cup soy milk
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 Tbsp. molasses
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup sugar
15 oz can pumpkin
1/2 cup raisins
Muffin cups

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and place muffin cups in a muffin pan. (This eliminates the need to add oil). Mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger into a bowl. In another large bowl, mix the extra 2 tsp baking powder with the 2 Tbsp water until dissolved. Then add the soy milk, applesauce, molasses, vanilla, sugar, and pumpkin to the same bowl. Stir in the dry ingredients, all at once, just until moistened. Fold in raisins. Spoon into muffin pan cups, filling almost to the top. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Remove and cool muffins. Then gobble them up!

The recipe also suggested adding pecans or walnuts to it but I don't like nuts in baked goods much. It also stated that it makes about 24 muffins but I only managed to get 16 out of my mix. With the whole wheat flour these muffins are pretty dense. So if you feel like you want to thin out the batter, just add more applesauce.

Also, if you tend to like sweeter muffins than I would add a full cup of sugar. In my opinion they have just the right amount of sweetness to them with the canned pumpkin. They are delicious. I eat them for breakfast! These muffins are definitely a guilt-less treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment