Jump to What Interests you Most

Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Fitness Tip: Do what you like

Taken from googleimages

Always do what YOU like!!

It sounds simple but many people engage in exercise programs out of some form of obligation. They may want to lose weight, get healthy, do a competition...which are all worthy enterprises. Nothing wrong with that. But you will not reach these goals if you don't do what YOU like! 

I always talk about running because that's what I like! Because I like it, I research a lot about it and want to get other people excited about it too. I know nothing about riding bikes, for example, so I don't write anything about bike riding. However, my husband loves riding his mountain bike. So he does that. I can't get him to run with me because he doesn't like running. I'm okay with that. I would like him to ride his bike more though.  
Whatever you like, do it and stick with it.

I have a student who bought a gym membership. He's trying to lose the 20 pounds he gained after leaving college. He goes out of obligation. Sometimes he goes running but he goes out of obligation. He hasn't been to the gym, or running, in more than 3 months! 

What he loves to play is tennis. Granted, tennis is an activity that's hard to do solo. But I say grab your racket and a wall and start hitting it around. Maybe do some sprinting on the court and some side shuffles to get your heart rate up if no friend is around. Join a tennis club maybe.


Bottom line: if you don't like it, you won't do it.

The most important thing is to be active. So play a sport or take a class and switch it up! Be proactive about keeping yourself interested. Boredom is an athlete's nightmare! Activities that you can do in pairs or a group are always more attractive. 

But deep down YOU HAVE TO WANT IT. Or you won't stick with it.

If this helped you leave a comment and let me know how it goes!

I hope you enjoyed your Fitness Tip and will add it to your Recipe for Health

No comments:

Post a Comment